Thursday, March 7, 2013


REVIT CHAIR FAMILY

By Dané du Toit

 

FAMILY CREATION

§  New, family, generic metric mass

§  Create a cage on ref level by adding ref planes around the cross given. 

§  Modify – annotate, click aligned dimension.

§  Click from and to where you want to measure – MUST click 3 things for EQ to pop-up.

§  Click EQ – equal spacing even if you move or change it.

§  Add overall dimension.

§  Now I want to change the overall dimension, but can’t select the actual dimension text.

§  I figured out that because I made it equal, I have to click on one of the outer reference lines of the cage and then I can adjust the dimension of that by clicking on the text – This dimension has to be half of what the total one should be.


§  Should I draw the frame/support structure first and then the seating or the other way around?

§  I don’t know which elevation to draw on.

§  How do you sweep or blend?  It doesn’t allow you to just create a shape, like a circle and if you do, what then?

 

§  I am going to try and start with the seating.

 

SEATING

·         Left elevation.

·         Firstly, I drew a horizontal reference plane at the height that top cushion of the chair will be and rename that.

·         Then, I drew a vertical reference plane where the edge of the back support will be.

·         Extrusion, circle – create 50mm radius circle over intersection of reference lines I just created.

·         Back elevation – draw circle to the left so that it snaps to the reference line, lock it to the centre line.

·         How do I lock a circle to the reference plane?


 

·         Create reference plane a little bit down from the intersection of the previous two and 30mm to the left.

·         Annotate – angular dimension – add dimension so that I can just change that when I move the cushions. – space cushions about 20mm from each other in height.

·         Copy the circle so that the middle point is over the new intersection.

·         Apparently it only copies in vertical or horizontal axis, so I copied it down and then moved it to the left.

·         I am going to repeat this until I have 6 cushions/cylinders.
 

 

·         This is now the back cushioning of the chair.

·         I now have to create the seating part – where you will actually sit on.

·         Draw a reference plane 60mm underneath the previous one and 110mm left of it.

·         Copy the circle to this point.

·         Repeat this with 120mm intervals for 4 times.


 

 

 
SUPPORT FRAME

·         I now have to create the support frame, but I have no idea how to do this.

·         I know I should use sweep, but I can’t seem to get it to work.

 

·         So I am going to try and use an extrusion instead.

·         Left elevation – draw reference plane underneath last cushion.

·         Put an overall dimension between Ref level 0 and the one underneath the last cushion.

·         Set this dimension to 200mm.

 

·         Set plane, underneath cushion.

·         Extrusion, spline.

·         Draw the form of the frame on the left elevation, making sure to close it at the ends; otherwise it will bring up an error message.

·         Click the Ö when done.

 

·         Go to the back elevation.  Ok, so my back and front elevations are turned around… but it will just have to stay that way because rotating it clearly doesn’t work.

·         I can try to mirror it… Select everything – except level 0 and reference planes that were supplied and mirror across middle line.  It worked!!

·         Now I just need to delete the previous object and keep the correct one.

·         So when choosing what is your left and right side, you should look at the object from the front view.

 

 

·         I am now going to move and dimension the footing so that it is thin and offset a little bit into the middle of the chair.

·         Back elevation.

·         Create a reference plane 50mm to the left of the middle reference plane.

·         Select extrusion, drag it from the right to that line and lock it to it.

·         Now create another reference plane 20mm to the left from that.  This determines the width of the frame.

·         Drag the extrusion to the line and lock it.


 


·         Create an extrusion line 50mm to the right from the left edge of the structure.

·         Copy that line 20mm to the right.

·         Copy the extrusion to these reference lines to create the other frame for the support structure underneath the chair.

 

·         Now I want to draw the support structure for the seating and back support.

·         Extrusion, draw the form of the structure.

·         Back elevation.

·         Since the reference planes for the width of the support structure is already there, I can just drag the extrusion to fit within the lines, it is already placed correctly then as well.

·         Now I can just copy the extrusion to the left side and the support frame will be in place.

 

 

·         I still need to create the bolts at the end of each cushion.

·         I can’t see the middle point of the circle – the cushion – I wonder if you need to adjust a setting to be able to see it.

·         Since I don’t know and can’t find that setting, I am going to draw in reference lines to determine the centre point of each circle.

·         Right elevation.  Draw a vertical and horizontal reference line so that the centre point of it forms the centre point of the circle.

·         I am going to do this for all the circles.

·         Now I am going to draw a 10mm radius circle extrusion on the top cushion.


 

·         Back elevation.  Create reference line 5mm from right edge of structure.

·         Do the same on the left side of the structure.

·         Drag the bolt – circle extrusion a just made – so that it sits on the edge of the structure and between the reference line.  Lock it to the reference lines.  It is thus sticks out 5mm.

·         Drag out the reference line that determines the width of the bolt, so that it is 10mm.

·         Draw all the bolts for all the cushions on the right elevation.

·         Since I can’t copy, because it is locked to a reference line, I drew a reference line down the middle of the structure and used this to mirror the bolts from the one to the other side.

·         I just need to drag each one to the reference lines and lock it to it.

·         I now have bolts on either side of each of the cushions.






So this is my chair

The picture I chose: 


 

And my chair:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment